Re: Rear Shock Kit

To: Clancy <clancy@idir.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Shock Kit
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:26:59 -0800
On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 03:23:54PM -0600, Clancy wrote:
> There are adjustable Armstrong's.  I have a set on the rear of my Vintage
> racing Sprite.  Where the big bolt is there is a big lever/knob that has
> about 15 click adjustment locations.  I can set them from VERY stiff to
> quite soft.
>
> Where they came from I have no idea.  They were just on an old race car I
> bought years ago...about 10 race cars ago.

This is very interesting. I wonder where I might find some, and
whether they'd be worth the money (rather than getting, for example
the spax kit).

http://www.singercars.com/4ax/armstrong.html

Seems to imply that there is some adjustment available.

As does this article:

http://www.carolinahealeys.com/Technical%20Pages/Suspension%20Steering/shock%20therapy.htm

Of course one can stiffen up both jounce and rebound by putting in
heavier oil.

Does anyone have a pointer to an exposition on how to tell if your
shocks are too stiff or soft in either jounce or rebound?

--
                   Girling is not a verb.