Re: Buy off e-bay? was Re: funny auction for 80 'B LE

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Buy off e-bay? was Re: funny auction for 80 'B LE
From: James Harwood <james.harwood@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 22:49:56 -0800 (PST)
--- kmwheeler@ualr.edu wrote:
> Hmmm, here's one:  how many of you have actually
> bought a car off e-bay?
> What was it?  Were you satisified?

I bought my 74 MGB on eBay. Contacted the seller first
by email then by phone and spent 1.5 hours chatting
with him. The car had been in his family for most of
its life. I felt quite confident about the deal.

The seller and his wife towed it from Boise, ID to
Reno, NV (with propshaft disconnected), stayed over
night and met me next morning at the airport. I did
see tears in his eyes at one point during the
handover.

Drove the car back to San Jose, CA. Got busted by the
law for no license plate on the way through
Placerville. It was a fixit ticket and later resolved.

Both car and driver were well overheated at journey's
end. Fuel pump was leaking fuel like crazy.

But on the whole, I think it was a pretty good deal.
The interior was bad but the PO disclosed that. All
the mechanicals are worn but well looked after. Only
slight rust in the floor pan where the carpet got
soaked.

CA DMV really pi$$ed me off. Because of the ticket, I
tried to register it pretty quickly, they insisted
that it have a Smog Cert. Most of the Smog equipment
was missing so had to purchase new. Failed several
tests big-time. Eventually contacted referee center
who said that 74 cars *are* exempt - go back to the
DMV. So now I have brand new air pump, gulp valve and
air injection manifold available if anyone wants them.

James
  74 MGB