Re: No LBC - Craftsman Tools R. I. P.

To: MGMagnette@aol.com
Subject: Re: No LBC - Craftsman Tools R. I. P.
From: "Paul T. Root" <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:11:11 -0600
I bought my first set of sockets, some screw drivers, a metal toolbox ,
and such from Sears back when I bought my first 'B, so 1983(?). I had
to go in for warranty maybe 4 times. Ratchet, mis-used screwdrivers, tape
measure.

I can't tell you how many times I've snapped the cheap junk from
Menards' or Harbor Freight on first use.

In fact, I bought a small vise (3in) from Harbor Freight just to be a
3rd hand on my tool bench in the garage. The real tool bench in the work
room is a great big thing. Anyway, I was trying to pop a freewheel of
one of my bicycle wheels, put the removal tool/key in the vise, grab
onto the rim, and turn. Snapped the jaw right in half. First use. Think
I could find the receipt.

Still I buy the cheap stuff for something I think I'll only use once or
twice. Menards' is a lot closer than Sears. K-Mart is closer still
though...

--
    ______      Paul T. Root
   /    _ \     1977 MGB