RE: wire wheels

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: wire wheels
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 13:38:52 -0600
Things can't be that bad, can they? I would think you big city guys
would have lots of good tire garages. Yes, even back in the 70s, I did
have some problems finding a place that was skilled enough and brave
enough to take care of my wire wheels. Some places were convinced a wire
wheel would break on their machines although I had never seen it happen.

But anymore, if I have a need for tires or tire work, I always ask the
place if they do wire wheels, even if it is for another rim. Their
reaction and answer will always tell me if it is a place to be trusted
to do quality work. The place I go to now (Staley's in Billings,
Montana) shrugged me off when I asked about wire wheels - said they were
just another wheel and it was no big deal. But when I take my wire
wheels in, they always have the two senior guys there work on them. I
think, even in their line of work, they appreciate the challenge of
working on and balancing the wire wheels. And I gain an appreciation for
skilled tire work. Yes, there are such shops around here in the USA. How
common they are, I do not know.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B