Re: stowaway top needed / hoods

To: "<mgs@autox.team.net>" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: stowaway top needed / hoods
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 01:14:46 +0930
On 01 Jun 2005, at 12:22 AM, Paul M. wrote:

> --- Carl French <leylandauto@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I am a huge fan of Stowaway tops. Rolled up in the
>> boot it is out of the way and I have tons of room
>> behind me. The car just feels more like a roadster
>> without the top taking up all that space.
>

> But I also agree that after owning an Alfa Romeo
> Spider Veloce for a while, and marvelling time and
> again about just how wonderfully simple it was to
> raise or lower the top with one hand from the driver's
> seat, I would think some enterprising aftermarket
> company would design something similar for the MGB.
>
> But maybe it's just not possible.

Hey, surely it is not just ME that had a midfold that operated
'ONE-HANDED' and dropped down nicely behind my seat (OK, maybe not
"totally" down behind my seat, but it never worried me there and if I
WAS ever concerned, the tonneau - or half tonneau - pretty much covered
it.

Here is a picture of the car when it had the midfold top - here it is
"thrown back".. does that look bad?

http://www.erickson.on.net/gallery/mg0998_2.gif

One hand up (two hands to clip it securely) and one hand down again.

I chuckled at fellow club members caught in a sudden downpour who had
to put their "frameworks" together and "build" their tops - but hey,
each to their own (and anyway, I never stored anything on that "parcel
shelf" behind the seats, anyway :-)

Eric
'68 MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia