Re: Rear axle

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear axle
From: "mgamgb" <mgamgb@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:01:27 +1200
The diff carrier location is set by selecting spacer washers that go on the
outside of the diff carrier bearings. There is no threaded adjustment for
the location of the carrier as there is in the banjo diff.
The spacer washer thickness are determined beforehand by measuring up the
housing and the assembleled diff carrier complete with bearings.
This allows for production variations in the machining of the housing,
carrier, and the bearings themselves.

The calculations for the thickness of the spacer washers include an alowance
for the necessary preload on the diff carrier bearings, so to allow for
assembly the housing has to be stretched slightly.

Cheers
Ian F