Re: Rear axle

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear axle
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:46:11 -0700
Yes, that is pretty scary, all right.

But what I don't understand is the need for this gimcrack procedure in the
first place. If I'm the engineer, and the first axle comes off the line, and
we start to dismantle it for QA, and the pumpkin is .012" too large to come
out of the housing, I don't go back to my drawing board and invent a
medieval device to spread the casing, and immediately order it into
production. I go to the housing drawing and change the hole dimension by
.015, and send it out as a change order. That would be the rational
response, but then it is pretty obvious that rationality didn't have a lot
to do with the arcane goings-on inside the ineffable
Austin-Morris-Nuffield-Leyland universe... again, I say, good grief...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149