wire wheel prep

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: wire wheel prep
From: "Greg Kindall" <gregkindall@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 13:03:20 -0700
I've just reconditioned my wire wheels (knockoffs, 4.5x14, newly
painted silver) and am about to have new tires put on. A couple of
questions that I think have been mentioned on the list before, but I'd
be glad to hear any opinions --

In lieu of proper rim bands, what about using sections of inner tube?
(and how wide should these be?). I've also heard of duct tape being
used. Are there problems with these ad hoc adaptations that I should be
aware of? (Yes, I like to be cheap if I can.)

Then there's the problem of grease migrating up the outer spokes. Will
an application of silicone caulk prevent that? I've also heard of
silver anti-seize being used instead of grease, so that what does leak
out doesn't mar the appearance. Any issues here?

Greg Kindall
Seattle  Washington
69 mgb gt