Re: wire wheel prep

To: "Max Heim" <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: wire wheel prep
From: "Simon Matthews" <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 16:13:17 -0700
On 8/19/06, Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> on 8/19/06 1:03 PM, Greg Kindall at gregkindall@comcast.net wrote:
>

> > I've also heard of
> > silver anti-seize being used instead of grease, so that what does leak
> > out doesn't mar the appearance. Any issues here?
>
> It makes sense, I suppose. I don't see why the type of grease should matter.
> "Anti-seizing" is precisely what is called for in this case.

I have wondered about this for some time. Since the splines eventually
wear out, one can assume that there is some movement between wheel and
hub. Thus, some kind of grease that minimises the wear effects of this
movement would surely be ideal?

Personally, I have an old can of Castrol Heavy grease that I use. This
is a very thick grease that is resistant to being washed out by water.
Not that my wheels experience much water here in the SF Bay area.

Regards,
Simon