Re: air filter on 4/4

To: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Subject: Re: air filter on 4/4
From: gdm@po.cwru.edu (G. David McCoy)
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 15:36:30 -0400
>Fellow moggers:
>
>It has worried me that my '67 4/4, with its single throat down draught solex
>carb, has no air filter.  Casual investigations suggest that there just
>isn't enough room to mount even a modified filter and meet bonnet clearances
>(its really tight!).  In conversation with "Bob" at Morgan spares he
>casually suggested a remote air filter with bendable tubing to route up to
>the carb.  I would guess the air filter should be in front of the radiator
>so as to grab cold air.
>
>Any comments?  I suppose it would be pretty hard to determine if this was
>too restrictive, short of testing it out.

Will-I have been having similiar thoughts. My +4 has no ait filters for the
same reason. There is a factory option for my particular situation. The
intake points aft towards the firewall. I have seen one +4 with this setup
and the owner is happy with it.  Various jury rigs have also been suggested.

Dave McCoy