Re: air filter on 4/4

To: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring), morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: air filter on 4/4
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 16:58:43 -0400
At 03:07 PM 8/5/96 -0400, Will Zehring wrote:

> It has worried me that my '67 4/4, with its single throat down
> draught solex carb, has no air filter.  Casual investigations
> suggest that there just isn't enough room to mount even a modified
> filter and meet bonnet clearances (its really tight!).

That's not totally correct Will.  My 65 4/4 has an air filter on it.
First off, if you really want an airfilter the quickest and easiest
is to grap a pair of your wifes hose that she is throwing out.  Lay
that over the throat. Hold it in place with a hose clamp or even a
rubber band (which will break eventually - but it's cheap). It's
better than nothing.

My air filter is a pancake type thing about 1" tall and about 5" in
dia.  The bottom of it has a clamp to clamp it to the throat of the
carb.  I'll try to get the measurements and draw you a picture some
time this week as the car is 14 mi. away at my dad's.

I'd think that they should be available somewhere.  If not, they
would not be too difficult to make.

> In conversation with "Bob" at Morgan spares he casually suggested a
> remote air filter with bendable tubing to route up to the carb.  I
> would guess the air filter should be in front of the radiator so as
> to grab cold air.

I don't know that you are going to be able to make a transition piece
to go on top of the carb and get it bent down under the hood too
easly.  (Not saying it's impossible).  I don't think you could get a
hose to bend quite that much with out crimping or hitting on the hood.
 It's worth a try though.  Then you could get some flex hose (real
thing - ie. dryer output ducting) from any autoparts store.  You could use
one of the newer type flat air filters and make a box for it or scalvage one
from a junk yard.

> Any comments?  I suppose it would be pretty hard to determine if
> this was too restrictive, short of testing it out.
>
> I put out a general call for Solex carbed mog owners and got no
> me!

Yes Will.  We are out here.  Sorry I didn't see your post.  I guess
someone is trying to tell you something.  We should be running the
Webbers.  Then you have a real problem with air filters.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!