Re: +4 conversion?

To: Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: +4 conversion?
From: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA)
Date: 17 Nov 96
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

Steve;
I agree with all the posts so far regarding the conversion of a two
seater to a four seater.
If I might offer a alternative, assuming the car you are looking at is a
good deal and your interest in a four seater is driven by the necessity
of a place to store a child, convert the boot area to the four seater
configuration but let the body the same.
Shortly after I completed the restoration of my car I found that I could
not use it as often as I would like due to lack of space for my 8 year
old.
I thought about the four seater conversion and dismissed it since I
would have to redo the car again. What I did was  copy the four seaters
floor area by moving the battery back ( about a inch from the rear axle)
, dropping the boot  floor ( the lid to the battery) area as low a it
would go, and basically creating a mini four seater  look alike in the
boot area.
It turned out great. The seat height is about the same as the four
seater with the foot room being slightly greater than a four seater.
This served us well up to my daughters mid teens . She had more space
than we did in the front and even when it was just she and I alone in
the car, she would ride in the "Boot".
How good was it ? My wife, daughter and I traveled from Dallas TX to
Montreal Canada in the car and loved ever minute of it.
Now I have a board which fits between the  front seat back and the "rear
seat 'making the boot area flat. The rear foot well under the board
provides a nice hiding place for cameras and other valuables and  is
easily accessed.  I have yet to find anyone at a Morgan meet who has
ever noticed the conversion unless some one is sitting back there or I
point it out to them,
If anyone is interested I can take measurements and see if I can do an
article on the conversion with more details ( do I hear the sound of
John Blair pulling out his Html manual :)

Bob Nogueira