Heater for a Morgan

To: Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Heater for a Morgan
From: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA)
Date: 11 Dec 96
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

Been rather quite o the Morgan List. I figure they must all be locked up
tight in the garage for winter. In an effort to remedy that situation
let me pass along some of my experience with my Morgan heater ( before
John beats me to the punch).

After a couple of years of driving the Morgan I  decided to investigate
ways of getting more heat out of my Smiths ( round ) style heater.
Running the heater made no difference in the cockpit temp, top up or
down.  I pulled the heater and performed the following test.

I connected the heater to to the hot water tap and, measured the inlet
water temp and outlet water temp. I figured the difference was the
amount of heat released to the cockpit.
Well the difference was 7 degrees (F).
Next step was to fit the fan  from the Smiths to a GM full size heater
core and  perform the same test. Results, a 5 degree (F) drop.
Since my mama didn't raise no fool, I determined , to my surprise, that
the
Smiths Heater core was the better of the two. Now having eliminated one
of two functioning parts of the heater as the problem I switched motors,
  Godfrey GEE!!!!!!!  what a difference !   A Delco fan moved far more
air and the temp drop of the water  went to  15 degrees ( F)  for the
Smiths and 7 for the GM .
Playing  with the Delco motor mount I managed to fit it to the Smiths
box using the Smiths fan blade.
Mounted in the car the heater put out such a blast of hot air  I had to
fabricate a register of sorts to defuse and spread the hot air.
The fan motor control switch would not handle the load of the delco
motor so I used a 3 speed Honda switch and ran two ignition ballast
resistor s to provide three speeds.
Since the installation I have had the use  the Morgan regularly, sans
top , all the way down  to 40 degrees (F).  Both driver and passenger
are covered with a blast of warm air.  With the top up and side screens
on, the interior can actually be raise to 90 (F) in sub freezing weather
..
So get out there and modify that heater and crank up the old Mog.

Bob Nogueira

PS : Now to make you all feel really bad it was a cloudless 80 degrees
here in Dallas Tx today  :)

PSPS:  Remember all those nasty things I said about Texas weather last
July when I was doing the quarter panel?  Well I take tHen back .