Re: rear licence mounts

To: NKED65A@prodigy.com
Subject: Re: rear licence mounts
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 12:42:34 -0500 (EST)
Bob N. clogs the internet with the following:

> > Now even more important: does anyone know whether Gatso type speed
> cameras can
> > see a Morgan licence plate if it is in its original placing below the
> bumpers?
> >
> > Simon
>
> -------- REPLY, End of original message --------
>       Simon;
>         Will doesn't have to worry about Gatso speed  Cameras and speed
>               traps,  remember, he has  a 4/4 !         :)

Ugh.  Here we go again. :-|  I don't know what's better: the MG vrs Triumph
debate raging over on the MG list or this 4/4 vrs +4 debate that keeps
cropping up here.  Just because I am the one who brought it up again a few
postings ago doesn't excues BN from making hurtful remarks like the
above.  I can take it, though, cuz I know who's right, deep down inside.  ;-)

I gotta tell you, that "little" 4/4 of mine showed herself pretty
darn well on I-80 across Ohio and Pennsylvania back in November.  Heck, I
was PASSING cars!  I cruised at a cool 70 MPH, and would have even been
comfortable doing so were it not for the high quality "weather
protection" afforded by the top and side curtains.  Hint: bring along a
few towels to stuff into the cracks so the snow doesn't blow up into your
eyes.  All the time, I logged 36 mpg, and that little puppy was askin'
for more when we pulled into the new home.

Now the TR engine is an okay engine too.  It certainly does have a
bigger displacement, and it does weigh a heck of a lot more, and its well
known that parts are just about impossible to get now-a-days, not to
mention the lousy mileage and the substandard carbs on that lump.  That
little Ford engine has had a long and famous history.  Tell me, did they
create "Forumula Ford" or "Formula Triumph" back then?  Huh?  Clearly,
the ford engine is the "thinking man's" engine.  Light weight,
efficienct, reliable, low cost, and modifiable up the wazoo for those
big-buck racers and hot shoes out there.  I mean, did Chapman put a dohc
head on the triumph engine or on the ford engine?

Not to mention that way hip push-pull tranny control.  Now THAT'S a car!

Sincerely,
Will "hopelessly committed to small displacement 4-cyl engines" Zehring

p.s. Seriously; does anyone have some literature on the performance
differences between same year 4/4s and +4s?  0-60, top end, that sort of
stuff.  Otherwise Bob and I will just have to have a race somewhere.
Don't worry, I know that the triumph will be faster, but that's not the
point!  (?)