Re: Re[2]: Refugee

To: ebrown@ms.com
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Refugee
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 17:29:41 -0400
At 05:04 PM 5/28/97 -0400, you wrote:
>     I have never replaced a TR engine head gasket, but I have been told a
>     multiplicity of times by several different knowledgeable people that
>     turning the engine over to pop the head gasket is a very bad idea
>     because the wet sleeves tend to come out of the block. Could be an old
>     wives' tale, but I've heard it several times over the past year.

Okay, I'll bite.  I'll admit that most of my experience in the head removal
dept. comes with the venerable B-series BMC engine found in the MGA and
MGB, but no fancy business was needed to remove these heads (other than,
perhaps, a few raps with a stout hammer).  Why the need to turn over the TR
engine in the fisrt place?  What makes it necessary w/this mill?

Normally, I wouldn't care about TR engines, being as I am the proud (and
'umble) owner of a 4/4 (that not ironically, appears to be wanting a new
head gasket?), but with the recent purchase of a TR engined (gasp) TVR, I'm
possibly looking at the future here??  Furthermore, any dig on Greg P. is
also a good excuse as far as I'm concerned anyway (big smile, Greg)!

Will Zehring (who is immeasureably happy)

p.s. regarding latent virus, as a molecular geneticist at one of our
nation's premier medical schools, I concur with all discussions on this
topic.  I am tempted to suggest that the SCV may be a retrovirus variant,
as it tends to draw the victim into the retrocar.