Re: Re[2]: Refugee

To: jblair@exis.net
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Refugee
From: Fred_H._Birkbeck@ieaust.org.au (Fred H. Birkbeck)
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 09:58:52 +1000
John, & everybody....

My experience with head removal of the Vanguard/TR engine is that you shoul=
d be careful.  The cylinder liners CAN move upwards a small distance when t=
urning  the crank if no restriction on the upward movement of the  liners e=
xists.  This movement may break the seal between the bottom of the liners a=
nd the =22o=22 ring seals, and this, in turn, may not reseal correctly when=
 the head is tightened down and the liners =22squashed=22 back into the =
=22o=22 ring seal - probably because they lose flexibility with age.

The end result, jacket water leaks into the oil pan.  First noticeable when=
 the oil level on the dip stick starts to rise=21  If this happens, a strip=
 down is required to install new =22o=22 ring seals (I have done this witho=
ut removing the engine block but would not recommend it).

My opinion on head removal is to undo the head bolts, and =22jar=22 the hea=
d loose with a hardwood block and hammer with a sideways/upward movement.  =
Then lift the head off.  Do not turn the crank over as the piston/liner fri=
ction may cause the liners to lift.

Once the head is off, make up small stays that can be bolted under the head=
 studs to clamp the liners against their =22o=22 ring seals.  Then you may =
turn the crank over to clean the top of pistons etc.

For those who asked, the reason MGB engines do not have this problem/need t=
his care is that they do not have removeable cylinder liners.

On assembly, make sure the liners protrude above the block a small amount s=
o that when the head is tightened down, the head/gasket ensures the liners =
are clamped hard into the =22o=22 ring seals at the bottom.  I haven't got =
the liner protrusion measurement at hand but from memory it was about 0.003=
=22.

If you have not got a small protrusion you run the risk of not having the l=
iners clamped in place and subsequent leakage.

Generally, I have found if you do not move the liners by turning the crank,=
 you will have no problems with a standard head removal/replacement.

Hope this adds to the discussion.

Best regards,  Fred Birkbeck

 and after reassembly,=20