Re: Chassis number location

To: Jane McDaid <Murphys@ziplink.net>
Subject: Re: Chassis number location
From: steve@tap.csiro.au (Steve Moore)
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 15:24:06 +1000
There are a lot of stories going about of people who found a Morgan badge
beside the road and built a car around it. The Series 1 I have been
restoring for the last decade could be a case in point. After the new
woodwork and new chassis had been installed it was rather like my
grandfather's axe (two new heads and three new handles). The car however
does have a continuous history which is probably one criteria to base
whether or not it is a genuine Morgan.

A friend of mine got sick and tired of removing the seats every time
someone official needed to see the chassis number. He made a little brass
plaque with all the cars details and attached it to the engine firewall.
This seems to satisfy most officialdom, who would rather not be clambering
under seats anyway.

Cheers

Steve Moore

>The chassis number is stamped on the square steel crossmember under the
>front of the right seat bottom cushion. The body tub number is not inside
>the wheel well, it is on the top of the right rear wheel arch, inside the
>car, just behind the seat back. The engine number as mentioned is on the
>hinge side flanges of the bonnet halves.
>
>If your Morgan has undergone substantial restoration work such as
>replacement of the chassis, engine, hood and body tub it is possible that
>none of these numbers will be found.
>
>Of course, if that's the case the philosophical question arises as to
>whether or not you really have a car at all, or just think you do. I hope
>you're enjoying it, in any case!
>
>Seriously, though, I wonder if there are any Morgans which have been cloned
>into more than one complete car, each with some legitimate claim to an
>original serial number. Just think, there could be more Morgans still on
>the road than were ever built by the factory!
>
>Jerry Murphy
>'67+4 6676
>
>At 04:01 PM 9/8/97 -0500, Scott Barrie wrote:
>>>HELP!
>>>I can't remember where the chassis number is on my 1963 +4.
>>>
>>>Geo.
>>>ggerth@west.net
>>
>>Gee, I've got a 1963 +4, too. I completed a ground-up restoration on it and
>>I don't believe I've ever seen a chassis number - even though I know the
>>number by heart (5203 for those skeptics).
>>
>>So, if someone can help George out, I'd really appreciate it... :-)
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>Scott Barrie

Dr. Stephen Moore
CSIRO Tropical Agriculture