Re: Chassis number location

To: Murphys@ziplink.net, scott.barrie@CIMtegration.com, morgans@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: Chassis number location
From: RCooperman@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 01:21:42 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-08 23:04:06 EDT, Murphys@ziplink.net writes:

<< Of course, if that's the case the philosophical question arises as to
 whether or not you really have a car at all, or just think you do. I hope
 you're enjoying it, in any case!

 Seriously, though, I wonder if there are any Morgans which have been cloned
 into more than one complete car, each with some legitimate claim to an
 original serial number. Just think, there could be more Morgans still on
 the road than were ever built by the factory!

 Jerry Murphy
 '67+4 6676

Well this indeed raises interesting questions both local and global.

Locally the pedigree of my MOG is murky though probably impecable.  I
purchased mine ten years ago with a blown engine.  The previous owner allowed
the engine to badly overheat and blew the engine.  The crankshaft punched a
hole in the block rendering the engine a total loss.  I replaced the engine
before I knew to record the engine number.  Since the engine number left with
the blown block and the cross member number is lost in the mist of rust I
fell back on the tub number.  The factory was able to provide some info to me
on the car and it seems to track what I have - a dark blue RHD 2 seat 4/4
with 1600 cc cross-flow engine.

Globally, did MOG owners quietly begin cloning years ago before Dolly
appeared on the scene.  Did they avoid the morality questions by not
publishing the results in learned journals??  Methinks there may indeed be
more 1950 to 1970 MOGs on the roadthan were built.. Would make an interesting
research project.

Richard Cooperman
'67 4/4 RHD
Chassis Number B1843