Re: TexMog

To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TexMog
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 22:32:54 -0400
At 05:18 PM 10/18/97 -0500, Charles A Harris wrote:

>... At last I did check the battery and found that sure enough it had
>died...
>Now with the new battery she has been starting fine until the day before
>yesterday when at the stables she refused to start.  She bump started
>fine, and the starter worked for the rest of the day.  yesterday she
>became like Bob Noguiras lottery starter on his return from Alaska, as
>sometimes it works, sometimes it did not.  The new battery seems fine, so
>I wonder wheather the starter has sure enough  now died, or if the
>solenoids are a problem.  Any suggestion would be appreciated..

Chuck,

  Since you have a new battery and the starter has been checked, I'd lay
my money on the solenoid.  However, it could be any of the three.

To test the system:

1. Use a volt meter across the battery and have a helper try to start the
   car.  What is the voltage reading?  It should be over 9V.  If not,
   it's either a bad battery or a bad starter.  Check the starter by
   trying to jump start the car from another (supposedly good battery
   in a running car).

2. Using either a test light or a voltmeter, check the output wire from
   the starter solenoid to the starter.  Have a helper try to start the
   car and see if the test light lights or there is > 10 volts at the
   output of the solenoid.  When the solenoid clicks (engages) it is
   pulling a metal bar across 2 contacts.  It is not uncommon for one
   of the contacts or the bar to burn (actually get eaten away) over
   a period of years.  So while you hear the solenoid click and think
   it is working it really isn't as there is no real connection because
   of the burned part.

3. If there is voltage to the starter, and yet it is not turning over,
   then suspect the starter.

I'm from the school of cheap.  Most times the cheapest part in a circuit
is what goes.  Therefore, if I had to easter egg it, I'd start with the
solenoid.

I must say that on one occassion I purchased a "brand new battery" and
didn't even make it home.  It was bad to start with.  So just because
you have a "new" battery doesn't mean that it can't be the problem.

Hope this help!

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire