Re: TexMog

To: harris_simmons@juno.com (Charles A Harris), smithmog@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: TexMog
From: Jane McDaid <Murphys@ziplink.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 22:53:19 -0400
Chuck,

If you have a Sun type meter, try measuring the voltage drop at the starter
while cranking, or attempting to. You can also measure the drop at the
solenoid. Excessive voltage drop indicates a bad component. Excessive drop
at the battery indicates the battery can't take the load. You can also test
the grounds between the battery and the frame, between the battery and the
negative side of the solenoid or starter. The manual that came with the Sun
meter shows you how to systematically run through each segment of the
engine's electrical circuits for diagnostics. You can pinpoint your
problem(s) and be confident there's a logical need for each fix. Good time
saver.

Cables cost less than solenoids. Solenoids are cheaper than batteries which
are cheaper than starters. You could spend a lot on a hit or miss
replacement program!

On my Plus 4, for some reason I have a weak ground through the strap
connected to the left engine mount. I added another ground cable from the
starter directly to the frame. That helped, but what the meter told me was
I also needed a new battery. Similar symptoms to yours, except it would
crank very sluggishly, almost rebounding when each piston came up. Now it
cranks beautifully and starts right up.

Good luck!

Jerry Murphy