Re: FW: Open air policy

To: Charles A Harris <harris_simmons@juno.com>
Subject: Re: FW: Open air policy
From: "Robert K. Alexander" <ralex@unm.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 15:21:58 -0800 (PST)
Chuck,
        Or should I say Professor Harris?  Methinks you have finally thrown
the light of truth upon the topic of topup, topdown, or topless.  Anyway,
it's time for a Friday afternoon seminar and a pitcher of beer.
        Of course, the issue is the *symbolic* meaning of the top, I mean
hood. Especially in regard to the concept of warrior and individual vs.
society.  Around these parts, we have Lowriders, a kind of warrior group of
the 21st century and, I submit, in total symbolic opposition to us
Morganistas.  For example, Lowriders have tops - of steel. Often even the
windows are tinted and obscure the identity of the occupants.  Furthermore,
Occupants tend to slump down in their seats (or else perhaps these things
also have bladders that go flat), so that only noses and eyes are visible
over the dashboard.  As though in hiding, or retreating to some
self-constructed artificial womb.
        Contrast this anonymous "warrior" so shielded from individuality on
the road - and so lost in his own society - with the top-down, hellforleather
Morgan warrior, daringly exposed to the natural elements as well as to those
anonymous driveby societal elements that might do harm, anonymously of
course.
        Let us wear our wrinkles and our weatherbeaten, tearless eyeballs -
and our ridiculous grins - with the pride befitting a warrior class
challenging the world to preserve our principles!

        Please pass the pitcher.

Bob Alexander
Los Lunas, NM