RE: CorroDip (Corrosion Dissolver)

To: ARoman4047@aol.com
Subject: RE: CorroDip (Corrosion Dissolver)
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:29:04 -0400
Like Tony, my first guess was also that this magic elixir was a phosphoric
acid. Phosphoric acid dissolves rust and then apparently attacks the metal
and leaves a thin protective coating of iron phosphate.

Jeff's comment that "it has a kind of Vinegar smell to it" makes me wonder
if it is not something like C.L.R., manufactured in the US by Jelmar and
flogged on TV as an ideal material to remove rust and other stains from
toilet bowls, sinks etc..  C.L.R. stands from Calcium, Lime, and Rust and I
would guess that it is a mixture of weak acids such as acetic acid (aka
vinegar) and citric acid, and  chelating agents that increase the solubility
of element such as calcium.

Chuck Vandergraaf
'52 +4
Pinawa, MB