RE: Brake Master, etc.

To: "'Jane & Elton Wright'" <delicate@rev.net>
Subject: RE: Brake Master, etc.
From: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 07:34:52 -0700
Elton,
I just completed the dual brake system conversion on my 67 +4 and I am
fairly pleased with it.
I followed the instructions from Fred Sisson's Bedside Reader and used the
master from a 1973
Toyota Corolla. It bolts in with only slight modifications. I noticed the
note from Fred Solo about
pedal travel and there is more pedal travel than I was used to on any other
British cars I have owned.
But after just a bit of driving the car I have become accustomed to it and
the brakes work very well.
I actually find I like the longer pedal travel since I have very long legs
and it doesn't cramp me as
much when I am pushing on the brake pedal. I also rebuilt the front
calipers, put in new pads, new
rear cylinders and shoes.

One problem I did have with the conversion was that I could not find a
suitable plug for the 4-way union
block. On the original setup one line comes from the master, one goes to the
brake light switch, one to
the front brakes and one line to the rear brakes. With the new set up the
line to the rear comes directly
from the master and therefore you need to plug the hole in the union. I
ended up buying a three way
union from Moss motors that does the job without plugging any holes.

Regards,
Phil Roettjer
67 +4
67 MGB