RE: Hot Road Trip

To: "'morgans@autox.team.net'" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hot Road Trip
From: "Blair, John" <JBlair@scn.spawar.navy.mil>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:57:18 -0400
        Jeff has a good point "is that it is almost certain that the car
didn't leave the
        factory 'overheating' other wise the first owner would have got it
sorted under
        warranty."

        However, the Morgan is NOT the only LBC that has overheating
problems.
        One thing most of us forget, is just where in the US is England east
of?  Turns
        Out it is East of Goose Bay Labrador Canada.  A hot day in England
is about
        75deg F.  Now my car will usually run OK as long as the air temp. is
less than
        75.  Unfortunately, most of the US have summer temps far in excess
of 75 deg.

        I have had my radiator rodded out, have checked the timming and the
exhaust system.  So now the game is how much money do you want to throw at
the
        Problem?  From what I've been able to gather, the best solution is
to replace
        The readiator with either a +8 radiator, or one of the "newer"
designed radiators.  The problem with this solution is it is $300 to about
$600.  There are
        A lot of other things we can do to for a lot less than $300.  While
these might
        Be bandaid fixes, if they work great!  I'd rather spend $50 on
making a scoop
        For below the radiator and the water pipe insulation to close off
the air
        Passages around the sides and top of the radiator, and putting on a
rubber
        Dam under the car to try and move the pressure point to help the
radiator
        Cool the car.

        John

John T. Blair
jblair@scn.spawar.navy.mil
SPAWARSYSCEN Chesapeake
Chesapeake, VA                                 (757) 523-8133