RE: Hot Road Trip

To: "DeLuca, Joseph" <Joseph.DeLuca@wl.com>
Subject: RE: Hot Road Trip
From: Steve Moore <steve.moore@tag.csiro.au>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:15:43 +1000
Joe,

The temperature of the exhaust can vary quite dramatically with ignition
and valve timing. Ignition timing is easy to check, valve timing can be a
function of the cam profile. When I fitted a fast road cam the temperature
of my exhuast manifold increased to the extent that the plastic radiator
overflow tank which had been fitted to the inner wing melted. It had been
in place for several years with the old motor without ill effect.

One less expensive cure may be to fit and air dam below the radiator. This
has the effect of creating a vacuum under the car which can suck the hot
air down and out. A heat shield could also be put in place between the
exhaust and the firewall. Do you have louvres in the tops of your bonnet
(hood). Some cars came without these which to my mind would cause a build
up of heat in the engine compartment.

Cheers

Steve Moore

>Thanks to all for the manifold coating tips, especially
>Art who reminded us to do the inside as well.
>
>But, is this the most bang for the buck to reduce that
>incredible heat?  My particular 4/4 is a regular lobster
>pot when cruising at 60mph on trips over 50 miles with
>75F average outdoor temps.
>
>It sounds like some of the other Mogs don't get that kind
>of heat, with or without the jet coat.  There are no exhaust
>leaks to put heat straight on the firewall or floorboards
>(had that happen once and melted my sneaker to the floor
>like a cheeseburger). It's just that I have this extraordinary
>engine compartment heat.
>
>It's difficult to put insulation inside the passenger
>footwell with that antique heater element in the way.
>I don't want to disconnect it for fear it'll fall apart.
>
>Regards,
>
>"Hot and Bothered"
>
>Joe DeLuca
>Sparta, NJ
>'62 yellow 4/4 competition model
>Morgan 3/4 Group, USA

Stephen S. Moore
Principal Research Scientist
Beef CRC Molecular Genetics Sub Program Leader
CSIRO, Tropical Agriculture
Molecular Animal Genetics Centre
Level 3, Gehrmann Laboratories, Research Road
University of Queensland, St. Lucia, 4072

ph 61 7 3214 2476
fax 61 7 3214 2480