Re: Thoughts on cooling

To: FPS3@aol.com, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thoughts on cooling
From: LSelz@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 22:54:49 EDT
In a message dated 8/10/99 17:33:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, FPS3@aol.com
writes:

<< and stay  there under ALL driving conditions.  If the cooling system is
doing it's job  then you should have almost constant temperature- always-
racing, idle,
 traffic, crusing, etc. Too cool is as bad as too hot and if something "drops
 the temperature 20 degrees", then you still have a problem somewhere. >>

Fred - Question on that subject.  My 4/4 has an aluminum radiator and runs at
thermostat temp (185F) almost all the time, without the fan coming on at all,
even at idle in the city.  It also had (till just a bit ago) exhaust
temperature sensors in the headers.   They would read 1380F constantly, until
I'd bear down on the throttle in high gear to climb a long hill (2 mile 7%
grade).  Then they would quickly climb to 1520F and stay there till I backed
off the gas.  The water temp (the gauge is a little slower) would follow, and
climb to 200 or so, and then drop back down with the exhaust temp.

Seems to me if there's that much more heat having to be dealt with in the
engine with the gas temperature rising 100+F, that the water temp should have
the right to fluctuate 15-20F without fearing that there's something
amiss......Or not???  Inquiring minds want to know....

                   Lannis