Re: Thoughts on cooling

To: <jimgcusavecom@webtv.net>, "Bob Nogueira" <nogera@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on cooling
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 23:00:56 -0700
The temple sticks turn color when they reach a threshold temperature.  So if
at any time the top tank of the radiator reaches the threshold temp., it
will change color.  The same goes for the thermostat housing.  Using only
these markers to measure the temp., there is no way to determine if the
temperatures were reached at the same time or at different times.  The
radiator will only get hot when the thermostat opens to allow water to
circulate whereas the area just below the themostat will be the temperature
of the water circulation in the engine, whether the thermostat is open or
closed!  The thermostat could stick shut and the engine could reach 250 or
more degress, and the top of the radiator could at the same time be 90
degrees!  If the mechanical fan is removed from a +4, then the temp sender
can be moved to the lower thermostat housing where Smiths designed it to be
positioned.  When Morgan mounted the mechanical fan on the water pump, it
interfeared with the sending unit and so the sending unit had to be moved.
    By the way, the original temperature gauge is much more accurate that an
MGB gauge which has a roughly  10% tolerance for its readings.  The orginal
gauges, when working correctly, very accurately indicate:

 Bottom of the "normal" box = 160 F;  top of the normal box =180 F;  bottom
the the hot box = 200 F

Regards, Greg Solow