RE: RE: Tire jack

To: <BradFarr@aol.com>
Subject: RE: RE: Tire jack
From: "Kerry Seibert" <ckchapel@fast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:27:49 -0500
BRAD - the original Morgan jack is certainly a curiosity and a nice item to
"display" (along with  the little caged flashlight/trouble light that plugs
into your dashboard sockets) but please don't use it as a strong wind (or
breeze) or uneven ground could prove disastrous.  A quality scissors jack
(as recommended previously) is the answer.  Use a thick piece of
wood/plywood underneath to spread the load AND a nice piece (you can even
carpet it)  on top of the jack to spread the load and protect the chassis.
I'm with Chip, jack from the side at a "strong point" away from any exhaust
exits in the chassis, battery cables, etc. In your garage it's much easier,
use a floor jack.  When jacking from the side, use a longish, carpeted board
on top of the jack's saddle.  From the rear use a carpeted 2x6x44? (I can't
remember) to catch both of the frame rails (chassis rails) at the same time.
>From the front use the same board but position it slightly behind the front
crosshead member (ie catch both sides of the chassis as in the rear).  I use
jack stands but I also leave the jack "attached" if I'm under the car.  I
avoid leaving the front suspension "hanging" for any amount of time, esp.
with the extra weight of the wheels/tires on them.  All my personal
preferences of course, always willing to try something newer, faster, safer!
Always use wheels chocks!

Cheers, Craig Seibert        1961 4/4,  1968 +8