RE: Tire jack

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tire jack
From: Jane McDaid <Murphys@ziplink.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:37:12 -0500
I am not an expert, but I have survived 11 years of Morgan ownership to date.

I've had great luck changing tires with the original screw jack on my '67
+4. I carry two rubber wheel chocks and a 2"X6"X8" block of wood to go
under the foot of the jack. This block has a circle routed into it for the
foot of the jack. A few seconds of cranking and two wheels are in the air.
Tight clearance under the steering wheel makes it a little more difficult
to raise the driver's side.

Now that I think of it, I might drill a couple of holes through the wood
block so I could anchor it into the earth with a screwdriver blade or two.
Useful if off the pavement.

Before lifting the car, loosen the centerlock hub or lugnuts. Don't do any
banging or shoving while the car's in the air. If a wheel won't come off
easily, drop the car and drive it a few feet with the center nut loosened,
then raise it and try again.

I would NEVER, EVER consider getting under the car when it was suspended on
this jack. But it will get the car high enough to set on jackstands.

I put the rear two stands outboard under the axle tubes and the front ones
as far outboard as possible under the front bottom tube. Be very careful
lifting the second side of the car because a lateral shift will kick it
right off the other two stands. Keeps the wheels on until the car is secure
on four stands, or two if you're only leaving front or rear raised.

Jerry Murphy
'67 +4 6676