Re: Tire jack

To: BradFarr@aol.com
Subject: Re: Tire jack
From: "Ernest(Chip) Brown" <Chip.Brown@msdw.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:43:03 -0500
Well, now I am going to contradict myself and invoke the spirit of An
Expert. This expert, who I trust implicitly on these matters, has been
reading all of this email today , but he's a shy and retiring fellow,
isn't crazy about computers, and doesn't seem likely to weigh in here on
his own. Since I just got off the phone with him, I'll tell you what he
says, but keep in mind that it's second hand information as a result:

(1) Go ahead and jack it up by the dif. After all, these difs used to be
used for Studebakers, and as long as they're 3HAs they're strong enough.
The 7HAs (I think I have those model numbers right) are flimsier.

(2) Supporting  Phil Roettger, go ahead and jack it up by the bottom
tube of the front suspension. It is the strongest and main front support
of the car. If it can take potholes, it can take your jack.

(3) Don't worry about jacking it up via the cross member by the gearbox.
This is where the factory jacking point is located.

Now, my shy and retiring buddy may weigh in here yet, and I advise him
to do so. He also points out that on my car, with which he has some
passing familiarity,  the frame is so rigid that he can jack up the
front left by about a foot and all three remaining wheels are still on
the ground. No wonder it handles so well.

Once again,
Chip