RE: Dirt in the Petrol Tank

To: "BobTescione" <mogman@rpa.net>, <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Dirt in the Petrol Tank
From: "L.J. & M.L. Shields" <mshields@pclink.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 17:33:16 -0500
gas problem.  I had the same problem with my 67 +4 (TR4 engine).  After
driving approximately 20 minutes the engine bogged down and would only
respond to a full choke.  This repeated itself over and over.  Dirt in the
system seemed to be the logical culprit.  However, I reasoned why would a
full choke matter.

I brought this problem to a long time mechanic friend, and he suggested that
the problem was not dirt in the line but the oxygenated gas.  He pointed out
that this gas boils at a lower temperature.  I drained my full tank,
replaced it with non-oxygenated gas and the problem was solved.

If you do not know where to get non-oxygenated gas in your area, the local
street rod association will likely have a list of the stations selling it.
Call ahead to be sure.

Good luck, hope this solves your problem as it did mine.

Lloyd Shields
Minnesota Morgan Club
67 Morgan +4