Re: Dirt in the Petrol Tank

To: BobTescione <mogman@rpa.net>
Subject: Re: Dirt in the Petrol Tank
From: "Ernest(Chip) Brown" <Chip.Brown@msdw.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:39:20 -0400
Bob, my own experience with rust was that I removed the tank, etched it
with a weak acid solution (I remember muriatic, but I could be wrong)
and the problem was fixed, but only temporarily. I have a '57  bustle
back; taking out the can is actually pretty simple. In my case  I built
a new ash subframe for my tank, then had a Fuel Safe fuel cell installed
inside the existing tin can, so it looks original but is infinitely
safer, did all this after yet more rust appeared. I have talked to
others who have sealed their gas tanks with these coatings and they
swear by them. Bottom line message: you will find it easier in the long
run to pull the tank out, even if it isn't one of these high mounted
57s.

chip brown 57 +4 # 3714.