Re: Dirt in the Petrol Tank

To: mshields@pclink.com, mogman@rpa.net, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dirt in the Petrol Tank
From: Oddcarnut@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 19:09:22 EDT

On my 63 +4 I developed a periodic gas line plugging problem.  After pulling
the tank assuming it was dirt or rust, I found the inside of the tank quite
clean & rust free.  But the filler neck hose had started to come apart
internally and a small chunk was in the tank.  It would randomly get sucked
into the pickup tube.
So even if it is dirt & crud, make sure the filler tube hose is in good shape
while you've got the tank out.

Regarding tank cleaning, I second the comment about having the local radiator
shop hot tank it.  Another option is to use one of those chem-strip places if
you have one nearby.  On our Mini, chem-strip was the only thing that worked
to clean it out after the fuel tank sealer I'd applied during restoration
started to come off and plug things up.  I'd get the tank really clean and
keep it nice by driving the car enough to keep fresh fuel in the tank.  Plus
driving the Mog to work makes the day a lot better.

Cheers,

Ken Payne, 63 Plus 4 4 seat