RE: [oletrucks] VIN plate question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] VIN plate question
From: "Nelson, Jeff - DTC" <jnelson@paducah.k12.ky.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 13:11:02 -0600
Actually, the VIN numbers are NOT the same as the engine number, at
least on the AD trucks. The VIN numbers will vary from year to year in
some cases and will have a variety of information coded in them. For
example, mine is J53S111111 (don't have the exact final six digits with
me) where J refers to the model series (3600), 53 is the year, S is the
assembly plant (St. Louis), and the final six digits are individual
truck number (in sequence from rolling off the assembly line.) We just
recently had a post about the VIN numbers on AD trucks by one of our
members who set up a web site to help people interpret the numbers.
Sorry, I can't find the post or the URL right now.

I guess Kentucky is (was? this was 8 years ago) a little more layed back
than Texas. I bought my truck in Missouri. When I went to title it in
Kentucky, it had to be looked at by the local sheriff. The previous
owner had taken off the VIN plate and put it in the glove box. Then
plate number and Missouri title number matched. When I showed the
sheriff the VIN plate he told me to go pop rivet the plate back onto the
door post and then come back for the inspection. Twenty minutes later I
had my Kentucky title "inspection" completed.

Jeff Nelson
Paducah, KY
53 3600