Re: [oletrucks] bedwood milled rabbets

To: "Nelson, Jeff - DTC" <jnelson@paducah.k12.ky.us>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] bedwood milled rabbets
From: "Eric and Linda St.Phillips" <lstphil1@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:42:19 -0500
Jeff,
Great picture of the bed boards and steel skid strips!

The picture shows the proper fit of the steel strips to the bedwood. The
"reason" for the unusual design is wood movement due to moisture content
change. A six inch wide board can easily change width cross grain by 1/16" -
1/8" due to seasonal humidity changes. The groove design allows the boards
to float without buckling while still being firmly held to the steel
supports underneath.
My GMC fleetside box has 12 boards across ranging from 5" to 7" in width ,
so the bed may change width by over an inch between dry winter storage and
humid summer time conditions. For people who are making bedwood as I did
please note: different species of wood move different amounts in responce to
humidity (moisture content) changes. It is important to allow clearance
between the hold down bolts and the wood so that movement can occur.  If
you're working dry wood in a heated shop (shrunk condition) more expansion
room should be allowed than if you're working air dryed wood in the humid
part of summer with no heat in the shop (expanded condition). Varnish or
polyurethane does not prevent this natural wood movement but may slow it
down some, so If you don't varnish or seal both the upper and lower surfaces
of the boards, they will change moisture content faster on the unsealed
surface causing cupping of the wood. Interestingly, the wood changes little
along the grain (lengthwise) so it is not necessary to allow for much change
in length.
Bed Wood is a project that anyone with a decent table saw can do and it
allows an infinite number of choices for wood material. I chose quarter sawn
white oak because it is hard, naturally rot resistant, cup resistant (due to
quarter sawn orientation) and its quite attractive. Draw backs are its heavy
and expensive. My 12 board bed cost $425.00 for S2S planed, kiln dried
stock. Have Fun All.
Eric A. St.Phillips
1959 GMC 100, long fleetside
Fairport, NY