Re: [oletrucks] Decals - opinion poll

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Decals - opinion poll
From: Joe Clark <jclark1@utk.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 07:33:37 -0500
I've had good luck painting letters on hubcaps and hood emblems.  Use a can
of spray paint, mask off the general area, spray.  Wait a little while and
then take a paper towel with a very small amount of lacquer thinner on it
and rub away the paint on the high spots, leaving the recessed letters
painted.  After that, you can buff with a small piece of leather to get rid
of the haze.  Doesn't leave brush marks, is quick, and no problem with
having to buy (and center) decals.  Probably a good idea to scuff up the
recesses a little with steel wool beforehand to assure paint adhesion.  Did
the same thing with the aluminum emblem on my "air flow" heater but, after
removing most of the paint from the high spots, I sanded the rest of the
paint residue away with some very fine sandpaper (prob. 1500 grit).  (With
that said, the paint will probably start flaking off tomorrow).:)
Joe
50 3100

At 10:16 PM 3/24/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Not only are they a whole lot easier to put on, they are extremely low lying
>and are THE best looking next to actually painting it in by hand.
>Brad Rusnak
>b_rusnak@telusplanet.net
>1949 Chev 1/2 Ton Deluxe Cab

Joe Clark, Southern Appalachian Field Laboratory