Re: [oletrucks] Decals - opinion poll

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Decals - opinion poll
From: rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com (Rob J.)
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:25:38 GMT
On Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:00:26 -0600, you wrote:

>At 03:54 PM 3/24/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>Rob, I definitely agree on the decals.  I just put the mylar "CHEVROLET"
>>letters on the dash of my '47 and they were awful to get into place.  Same
>>was true for the letters I replaced on my hood emblem.  They're very small
>>and hard to handle, and if you make a mistake, you can ruin a letter...and
>>therefore have to order the whole set again.
>
>Here is a little tip on new self adhesive decals.  Use a spray bottle with
>only water in it.  Soak down the area to put the decal.  Once you have it
>soaked, place the deal in the place you think you want it, but do not press
>real hard.  Lay it there.  Then, you can move it around without
>damage.  After finalizing where exactly you want it, use a rubber squeegee
>(or something similar) to squeeze all of the water from behind the sticker
>and making it permanent.
>Play around with a non-important sticker the first time.  It will take
>about 5 minutes to get the hang of it, and then go for the good
>stuff.  This is how I have done it for years, and it does make a difference
>in the finished product.  Most commercial companies do this to ALL of their
>decals.  That is why they usually look so perfect.
>
>Any one have any questions?

I have modified your procedures a bit.  I use a spray bottle and mist spray to
leave a heavily beaded (but lots of very, very small pinpoint beads = mist).  I
have found if you put too much water on, it beads into large drops and leaves
areas bare of water.  Using small mist sized drops actually does a better job of
getting that important layer of water under the decal (as you state) until final
positioning is reached.  I have also found that a couple (only a very small
amount) of drops of detergent will also promote the water spreading on the
surface and also ensure better movement of the decal.  Other than that, I do the
rest as you do.

However, I still do not like the new stickers/decals.  In my opinion, they are
too heavy bodied to look right.  They LOOK like decals (ie. the clear areas
stand out in and off themselves).  Good water transfer decals almost looked like
the painted portion was actually painted directly on the object as the clear
portion was so thin as to be almost invisible, and the thinness also made it
mold better to bumps, ridges, etc.