Re: [oletrucks] welding/cab corners

To: PERCULA25@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] welding/cab corners
From: Brad Newman <bkn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 23:45:10 -0500
PERCULA25@aol.com wrote:

> I getting ready to fix the weak spots in my cab and am wondering if I
> should
> purchase a welder for this.  I have never used a welder before and am
> wondering if this would be something that I could possibly do. I know
> that a
> lot of you have experience with this and wanted your input on if it
> would be
> worth the effort and the type of welder you would suggest for the
> job.  Also,
> I recall reading some posts on the quality of cab corners from various
>
> dealers.  Can you suggest a place that would have the better quality
> corners
> for me to buy.
>
> TIA
> Ed Solis 58 gmc100
> 1959

Ed
Go for it!
After pricing out what all the welding on my 49 was going to cost, I
thought that I would at least try and do some of it myself. I bought a
small Lincoln wire feed welder (Weld-Pak 100, about $300) from Home
Depot............it runs on 110, is portable, and will weld almost
anything that I have around my house/shop (supposedly it will weld steel
up to 1/4" thick). It came with a pretty informative "how to" video and
manual, and I have found it very easy to use. The only other "training"
that I had ever received in welding was 20 years ago in high school, and
that was with a stick type welder, not a wire feed. After a few hours of
practicing on scrap metal, I was able to weld in my first patch panel.
My welds still aren't as "pretty" as I would like, but they hold strong
and get the job done.
As for reputable sheet metal suppliers, I can say that everything that I
have ordered from Chevy Duty has fit as promised.
Good luck
Brad