Re: [oletrucks] Overheating

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Overheating
From: "Allen L. Jones" <ALJ@hartcrowser.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 13:57:24 -0700
No need to order.  A correct 235 gasket will not have the coolant holes
(affectionately referred to as steam holes) in between the siamesed cylinders.
The 261 gasket, as will the block, will have the holes.  An 848 head will not
have the coolant holes.  This may be your problem as Bob stated.  To drill the
holes, line a 261 head gasket correctly up to the head (alignment pins are a
good thing) and lightly punch a start where the 6 holes are to go.  I prefer to
match the size of the block holes, and slightly angle the head passages *in* (5
to 10 degrees works).  I've had problems in the past of not finding a water
jacket if the holes are drilled vertically.  Keep in mind an off center passage
in the head may lead to cracking in the future.  Just be very careful, as this
can be accomplished at home (however an air pallette drill press to handle the
weight of the head would come in darn handy).  Good Luck!

In a message dated 9/19/99 1:10:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time, miq@teleport.com