Re: [oletrucks] miq's exhaust

To: "Alan Gingles" <agingles@nucleus.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] miq's exhaust
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 22:24:36 -0400
There's a big difference in a dual exhaust V8 and a 6 cylinder with headers
or split manifold. My '51 GMC with Nicson headers on a 302 inline 6 is
capable of awesome sound. I have changed exhaust setups several times in
search of the "purr-fect" sound. First I had turbos exiting in front of each
wheel. Way too loud, very tiresome on long trips, so I ran the exhaust out
the back, under the bumper. Still too loud. Changed to two long (48") glass
packs mounted as far forward as possible - this produced a nice 6 cylinder
purr, progressively louder with RPM. Then I decided to mount a brake booster
under the driver side floor, so had to re-route the exhaust. I crossed both
pipes over to the passenger side, still using the same long glass packs,
about 2" apart, with both tailpipes exiting behind the passenger side rear
wheel. This totally changed the sound - made it like an Austin-Healey on
steroids! The glass packs have aged nicely, resulting in a deep, pleasant
tone until over 3000 RPM when it turns into a howl. The more RPM the louder
and better it sounds! I attribute this to the resonance from the long
tailpipes, and other Inliners have confirmed this, some even going to
crossed-over tailpipes to gain more length.

 The only thing missing from the way I remember the split-6 sound from high
school days, is the "Rap" on overrun or deceleration. It's lost when a cam
with lots of overlap is installed. My totally stock 216 with 2 Smittys was
louder on deceleration than any other time - sounded like engaging a Jake
Brake (and I had tickets to prove it)!

Jack / Winter Park FL