Re: [oletrucks] moving on

To: bekett@uslink.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] moving on
From: "Hollis Troop12" <hollisbsa@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:02:39 EST
Thanks Bruce,
When I received the truck in January someone wrote number is chalk over the
spark plugs.  I am guessing that this was from a compression check. The
numbers ranged from 25 to 60.  I think according to the writing on the
headliner that a valve job was done about 5,000 miles ago (it could also be
about 20 years??).

The outside of the radiator is very clean and there are no scales.

The fan pushes air out through the radiator.  After the truck stops the
radiator will disperse heat throughout the whole unit.  Except 3/4 of the
way down on the side away from the cap it is slightly cooler.  This is where
the fan blows.

When you think it could be the head gasket - why?  What would I need to do
to replace this?  My shop manual shows this to be replaced and the head bolt
re- tightened at each radiator flush.  Do you think this should be done now?
  Is this something that I could do on my one (I am just starting).  Should
this be done in a shop in case something goes wrong?  I am having the king
pins replaced in three weeks, would it be good to have this done at the same
time?

The oil pan is also dented bad and leaks from the drain screw, this needs to
be replaced at some time.  Should this be done ASAP?  I do not mind
replacing the oil as needed - about 1/2 qt each week or so.

Thanks
Jim House
46 3104 Chevy