Re: [oletrucks] moving on

To: hollisbsa@hotmail.com, bekett@uslink.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] moving on
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:45:05 EST
In a message dated 3/28/00 7:14:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
hollisbsa@hotmail.com writes:

> Thanks Bruce,
>  When I received the truck in January someone wrote number is chalk over
the
>  spark plugs.  I am guessing that this was from a compression check. The
>  numbers ranged from 25 to 60.  I think according to the writing on the
>  headliner that a valve job was done about 5,000 miles ago (it could also
be
>  about 20 years??).
>
>  The outside of the radiator is very clean and there are no scales.
>
>  The fan pushes air out through the radiator.  After the truck stops the
>  radiator will disperse heat throughout the whole unit.  Except 3/4 of the
>  way down on the side away from the cap it is slightly cooler.  This is
where

>  the fan blows.

  You're sayingh the fan pushes air from the engine side through the radiator
to the grille side?  I didn't know GM used that method,  we've do it on a few
of our forklifts, but they rarley see anything over idle-2000rpm engine
speeds.

>  When you think it could be the head gasket - why?  What would I need to do
>  to replace this?  My shop manual shows this to be replaced and the head
bolt

>  re- tightened at each radiator flush.  Do you think this should be done
now?

  A compression test and/or leakdown test will help you determine headgasket
problems. So will an analysis of the coolant, a radiator shop can help you
there.

>    Is this something that I could do on my one (I am just starting).
Should
>  this be done in a shop in case something goes wrong?  I am having the king
>  pins replaced in three weeks, would it be good to have this done at the
same

>  time?

  I wouldn't just relace anything, until I knew for sure what the problem is.

>  The oil pan is also dented bad and leaks from the drain screw, this needs
>
>  be replaced at some time.  Should this be done ASAP?  I do not mind
>  replacing the oil as needed - about 1/2 qt each week or so.

  Seems messy, this is something I'd do soon.

  Just a question regarding the bubbling, do you have a 50/50 mix of coolant
and water?

>  Thanks
>  Jim House
>  46 3104 Chevy