Re: [oletrucks] radiators and cooling

To: <ADvent@thuntek.net>, "Hollis Troop12" <hollisbsa@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] radiators and cooling
From: "Lonnie L. Dickey" <mdickey@silverback.gorilla.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 01:16:18 -0600
Ok. Don't laugh. I got this idea from an advertisement in a custom
rod magazine. They wanted $70 (!!) for theirs. I couldn't warrant
that kind of money but liked the setup. Read on.

  I used an old piece of exhaust tubing for the main holding tank.
This does two things. First it is somewhat slender (2 1/4"). I needed
to get it in between my V8, fan, and radiator. Second it length gives
it good fluid capacity. It happened to be thick walled stainless which
is common today and you might get a piece from the waste at a
muffler shop. I closed one end, which will be the bottom, by welded
it closed and then drilled two holes in the 'bottom'. I ran some old fuel
line (3/8") tubing through one hole almost to the other end, which will
be the top. I left a bit sticking out the 'bottom'. I threaded the other
hole and put in a hose fitting (again 3/8").

  I use short hose fitting as the receive line from the radiator. The fuel
tubing acts as an overflow and has a hose routed to dump any
excess through a hole in the chassis. Look in your porcelain throne.
In the tank you will see the same overflow idea. When the fluid gets
deep enough to top the tube it is routed away through pluming.

  Add a couple of well placed bolt tabs to match the bolt holes used
for the radiator or other mounting location. Top it off with a nice
paint/chrome job and a spring loaded vent cap from you local FLAPS.

There you have it. An overflow tank which is compact. It looks and
performs like the $70 unit. My actual outlay was $4 for the nice
chrome cap, some 'waste' parts, and a bit of sweat. It holds the
overflow water expelled under positive pressure and returns said
water when the system is cools and produces negative pressure.

Lonnie
(Cheap and effective but I still have my $66.)