RE: [oletrucks] compressed air

To: "'A.B.'" <bigfred@unm.edu>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] compressed air
From: "Jhouse" <jhouse@ccsol.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:43:03 -0500
OK,
Last spring I was compressor shopping and we got a long string of messages
on this topic.  I stated that I had more time then money and wanted to get a
"good deal".  So as I went on the great compressor hunt.  I wanted a 110
that would be on wheels that I could move around. I found that Craftsman had
a wide range of compressors that I could afford.  I found a kit that had the
compressor - a paint sprayer and a air wrench all for $350.00 (6.4 at 90 -
135lbs - 30 gal tank vertical). This kit was on sale and also with the
Craftsman Club (join this free club today if you like sears tools) discount
I got an additional 10% off.

Well the compressor I ended up with was a single stage.  It gave the noise
numbers but I did not at that time understand them.  My wife is a plant
manager and after I purchased it and then asked her - she stated that this
number is in the range to cause permanent ear damage if you do not have ear
protection EVERY TIME you use it.  More money on ear protection.

I then went on a sandblaster hunt.  Got a bucket kit and is did not work to
good.  So I got the next item a siphon feeder from Sears.  It works good.
However the compressor runs ALL of the time and most of the time it will run
out of air before I do.  I then wait for it to recharge.  At the time I
thought I had more time that I do, since I am covered with dust and just
standing around.  As an average I can blast for 20 minutes and stand for 40
minutes each hour.  I also discovered that this small stream of sand sure
cuts off the crap but it is a small stream and takes forever to get
something large done.  My first rim took over 3 hours.

I have used the sprayer and it works good.  I used it to paint house doors
with latex paint.  It gummed up a few times but the end result was good.  I
did not understand the oversparying and have a good number of tools with
brown specks on them, along with a lot of stuff in the garage.  This gun
would be good for primer but nothing else,  to do the truck is something
other than primer I will need to purchase a good air gun.  I have never used
the air wrench even when I could have used it seemed to me that it would
take more time to hook it all up and fill the compressor then to use the old
crank wrench.

Well now I can say it BOB ADler you were right - I should have spent the
extra $200 got a GREAT 2 stage compressor with 220 and run a feed from it to
where I would work.  In the long run it would have been cheaper and I would
still have more time than money!

Go 2 stage, buy more than you need now - if like me you are only making one
compressor purchase in you life - go big - do not just get one that you
think you can get by with!

NHJim
(I now have 6 inches of snow on the truck - but next year - boy will I make
progress)