Re: [oletrucks] Door Latches & Strikers

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Door Latches & Strikers
From: Alan Horvath <alan@alanhorvath.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:59:00 -0500
Thomas, Robert wrote:

> You also asked about shims or plates.  My recollection is that those
> were individually set at the factory to prevent the door from rattling
> when new. Some doors fit better than others, so don't require the
> shims.

Thanks, RT ... these aren't shims.  The striker is formed ... and if
you look at where the bolts go through, there's a space between the
truck body and the striker, so that if you REALLY cranked the bolts
tight enough, you could bend the striker-plate.  These pieces have
special ridges in them -- vertical on one side and horizontal on the
other -- that match groves in the back of the striker.  They take up
the space between the striker-plate and truck body *and* perform a
locking-function on the position of the striker.  The manual calls them
"spacers."

Alan
http://AlanHorvath.com/54chevy/