Re: Engine cranes

To: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: Engine cranes
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 13:34:23 -0400 (EDT)
        Here is my 2 cents worth. The engine leveler is really a necessity
but the crane isn't, although it would be nice. I have a 2x8 with a 2"
hole at the top nailed to one side of my garage with the bottom resting on
the floor to take the engine weight. About 7 feet away I have another 2X8
a little longer with the same hole in it. The top is nailed to the rafter
and
there are 2 braces going to the wall in the front of the garage to keep
things straight. I mount a 1 1/2 inch pipe in the two inch holes and hook
a come along to the pipe. I have used the same set up by nailing the 2X8's
to each side of the door opening on a single car garage. Since the 2X8's
rest on the floor there is no chance of pulling the rafters down. The
worst that would happen would be a bent pipe.
...Art