RE: Engine cranes

To: Ken Landaiche <ken_landaiche@dlcc.com>, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Engine cranes
From: Aleksandr Milewski <n6mod@amt.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 15:23:58 -0700
At 09:56 -0700 980811, Ken Landaiche wrote:
>And while you are at it, are engine stands generic, or do different ones
>fit different engines?
>
>Ken Landaiche (who has never pulled an engine)

In general, engine stands will bolt up to almost anything. The arms are
adjustable and go into the bellhousing bolt holes.

To get a Miata engine on a stand, I had to make standoffs from stacked
washers to attach the engine, but I was using the accessory mounts on the
side of the motor instead of the bellhousing mounts. (This is the
recommended procedure, only two of the bellhousing bolts go into the block,
the rest go into the (cast Al) oil pan.)

Engine cradles are a different story, those usually attach to the engine
mount points, and are thus engine specific.

-Zandr

Aleksandr Milewski                                              N6MOD
n6mod@amt.org                               http://www.amt.org/n6mod/