Re: Engine cranes

To: Art Pfenninger <ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu>
Subject: Re: Engine cranes
From: Bob Moore <mustang@best.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 11:06:09 -0700 (PDT)
I wouldn't trust that 1-1/2" pipe at all unless you weld a 'T' section to
the bottom or top to spread the load:
| < like this sorta, run it along the length of the pipe if possible,
3/16" thick or so, and drill/torch your hole for the chain in this piece
with a reinforcing ring around the hole as necessary . . .

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Art Pfenninger wrote:

>       Here is my 2 cents worth. The engine leveler is really a necessity
> but the crane isn't, although it would be nice. I have a 2x8 with a 2"
> hole at the top nailed to one side of my garage with the bottom resting on
> the floor to take the engine weight. About 7 feet away I have another 2X8
> a little longer with the same hole in it. The top is nailed to the rafter
> and
> there are 2 braces going to the wall in the front of the garage to keep
> things straight. I mount a 1 1/2 inch pipe in the two inch holes and hook
> a come along to the pipe. I have used the same set up by nailing the 2X8's
> to each side of the door opening on a single car garage. Since the 2X8's
> rest on the floor there is no chance of pulling the rafters down. The
(worst that could happen is a bent pipe)

or a dropped engine, if it bends suddenly . . .

-bob