Re: Makin' Trouble!

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: Makin' Trouble!
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 16:06:01 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Justin Cook <justincook@yahoo.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Frank Clarici wrote:

> Ulix Goettsch wrote:
>
> > handling past the limit of adhesion.
>
> Isn't this one of those "oxymorons?"
> Like "Sports Sedan" or "Japanese Luxury" car?
> How does one handle *past* the limits of adhesion? When I'm sliding
> sideways, I'm white knuckled and I have racing stripes in my shorts
> 'cause I don't know where I'm going to end up!

Frank,
that's what I said!
I was describing an X1/9 as opposed to a Spridget :-)

Seriously, once past the limit, you are no longer adhering but sliding
which can still be influenced especially if some tires still have traction
(the fronts).
Get the thing sideways, take the hands off the wheel and it catches
itself....most of the time...

Wider wheel base helps a lot...

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9