Re: MSRP (no LBC content)

To: JustBrits@aol.com
Subject: Re: MSRP (no LBC content)
From: Bruce Lowry <egnorant@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:17:28 -0400
Cc: davidr@sunset.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
A recent part shopping trip causes me to speak up. While searching for a small
part(turn indicator switch) I was enlightened as to some of the reasons for
massive markup. This switch was one piece of plastic, 2 wires and 2
rivets.....I personally could make it for $5.00 and 3 hours time. Prices ran
from free (with purchase) from local U-Pull it yard that knows me to $100.00
from the dealership. Parts house had one for $10.00 but it was poorly designed
and did not work. Remember....no returns on electrical parts. The reason for
the high price at the dealer is that insurance is paying for a majority of the
parts. Customer doesn't care...insurance is paying for it. Repairman don't
care...insurance is paying for it.
Insurance companys don't care.....policyholders are paying for it.
Policyholders don't care because..Wait! I care...$100.00 buck a month or so..
We of the "special" car sort should be amazed that the prices are as low as
they are. We get actual compitition among venders and producers. Also just take
a look today at how many 30-40 year old cars you spot. I will take the prices
from Vic Britty or Moss anyday over the prices from the 3 Biggies in the U.S.A.

Sorry if the rant offended, breakfast is just kicking in and I have too much
energy today!
Bruce Lowry